Leadership and Community Engagement
Like Maria Santiago

Leadership and Community Engagement

Leadership and Community Engagement

Description:

Published: April 16, 2018 0 0 17
By: Maria Santiago, Florida International University
Hashtags: #hc2018 #social_change

When my mother was pregnant with me she had a condition called placenta praevia. This condition can potentially lead to miscarriages and death to the mother and baby. She had already 2 children and being a doctor herself she knew all the risks. It was also the opinion of other doctors that she should have an abortion because this would at least save her life. Nevertheless, my mother’s faith was strong enough to never give up on me. Thankfully, God chose someone as my mother to bring me into this world. However, there are other millions of children who never get the chance to know the world outside of the womb and that’s why I became involved in my local church to rally against abortion.
I have been involved in this activity during the last four years and I am more than honored to be a voice for unborn children. Holding a sign might seem pointless to some people, however we do not know God’s plan. We don’t know if a woman on her way to have an abortion reads it and God changes her heart. Sadly, our society is too focus on “microaggressions” to rally against the things that matter.
It is important for young people to join the fight against abortion. It is fundamental that we understand that some things transcend age, gender, race, and socioeconomical status. I am not an old white Congress man, quite the opposite. However, I believe that life should be respected. It is saddening when I listen to pre- medical students saying that they are pro-choice when the whole point of their career is to save lives. It really makes me wonder what kind of doctors and what kind of society our children are going to inherit. Being part of the Honors College allowed me to take the message to other young people which can potentially be the future of our society.
In the future, I plan on being even more involved in the fight against abortion. God willing, someday I will become a doctor and speak for those who don’t have a voice.