Third World Cinema Screening
Like Carlos Acosta

Third World Cinema Screening

Third World Cinema Screening

• Entry Media
  • Entry Media
  • Entry Media
  • Entry Media
  • Entry Media

Description:

Published: July 13, 2017 1 0 74
By: Carlos Acosta, Florida International University
Hashtags: #Africa #Art #Community #Education #Film #Humanities #Thirdworld #ThirdWorldCinmea

As part of my Third World Cinema Course taught by Elizabeth Hanly my classmates and I organized public screenings of films from third world countries in various venues around Miami. My teammates and I had the opportunity to work with the Opa-locka Arts and Recreation Center, who's staff allowed us to show four films exploring the development of Film-Noir and Neo-Noir, as well as the adaptation of these genres by African Cinema. As part of the course I also had the opportunity to write an essay exploring Islam and women’s issues in islamic culture.

[Third World Cinema: Film Noir vs. Neo Noir] (http://mdela055.wixsite.com/aworldofcinema/film-noir-vs-neo-noir)

My participation in the Third World Film Festival is my greatest effort in global learning yet since I had never before been in charge of an event in such a large scale. In for this project to come to fruition I had to make full use of many different skills such as leadership as well as creativity and problem solving at a moment’s notice.

The most critical strategy for this undertaking was the ability to take initiative on my own decisions at a moment’s notice and remain confident despite the pressure

For starters, the Opa-Locka screening almost got canceled by our professor due to a misunderstandings regarding our project’s adherence to her guidelines. Gladly, I was able to calm down the situation and convince her our project was adhering to her rules just not in the way she had originally understood them. Another issue I had to contend with was on the technical side of the screening since it was hard to find digital versions of the films, many of which only had notoriety in their native countries. Furthermore, the internet signal at the venue was not powerful enough to stream the films so I had to use my phone as a hotspot instead. Lastly, I also took the responsibility of promoting the event which included printing flyers and distributing them around campus, a task which demanded an unexpected amount of mental and physical effort. Despite the trials along the way, I was happy to have overcome them as they placed me in unfamiliar and uncomfortable situations that required me to mature.

The biggest risk I took was deciding to commit the time and effort demanded of me at the expense of preparing for other classes more relevant to my major. The reason I made this decision was because it presented an opportunity to test myself in ways I hadn’t been tested before.

The most meaningful lesson I learned from this project was that academic skills can only help so much in making ideas come to reality and the execution of these ideas requires a different set of strengths such as commitment, team work, and the ability to adapt to complications as they appear.

This project allowed me to develop my leadership and community engagement learning as I had make decisions and take actions with the interest of others at stake and remain confident and assertive to maintain the teams morale.

Something very important that was overlooked in my submission was my ability to communicate and negotiate the best outcome despite the conflict of interests between all the parties involved.

Describe something important you have learned about yourself from producing this work.
This project helped me realize the limits of my potential and how to make the most out of them. I learned that although I could push myself beyond my limits of productivity with will power alone, the resulting extra effort cannot be taken advantage of without first taking care of my physical and mental health.

Attachments:

ThirdWorldCinemaFinalPaper.docx 118.8 KB

Tagged Teammates:

• Kelly Spence
  • Nina Mercadal

Likers

Luz Arevalo